Santa Monica, CA 90401
Copy Editor: IBISWorld Inc., Santa Monica, California
- Proofread market reports produced by in-house analysts. Worked closely with analysts on writing, learned about hundreds of industries on a short-term basis, worked closely with designers in InDesign and turned around several dense and lengthy reports daily.
- Helped build U.S. editorial team from the ground up. Until 2010, U.S. reports were edited in Australian headquarters. Played a significant roll in building new U.S. editorial team, processes, styles and reports.
- Tasty Clouds Cotton Candy Company, PR Writer: Produce written content for catering company’s marketing materials, including press kit, company backgrounder, website display type, professional e-mails and more.
- 54 System Design, Communications Director: Produce written content for software provider in the foreclosure sector, including white papers, manuals, company profile, marketing materials, website display type and more.
- Examiner.com, LA Business Tech Writer: Responsible for staying current on industry, developing column ideas, interviewing sources, securing corresponding images and writing all articles.
- StartupNation.com, Ghostwriter: Produce all editorial content that runs with website’s biannual small-business contests. Research, interview numerous sources, and write many articles on short deadlines.
Associate Editor, Copy Editor, Editorial Assistant: Entrepreneur magazine Irvine, California
- Hired as editorial assistant, advanced to copy editor eight months later, then finally advanced to associate editor eight months after that; 3.5 years in total
- Shared copy-editing duties of flagship magazine and several seasonals with one other editor. Responsibilities included copyediting, all display copy writing, and working closely with the art department.
- In addition to copy-editing duties, took on writing of a significant number of articles and regular columns as associate editor. Was responsible for planning and writing the Web and Tech departments. Became point person to attend tradeshows and conferences. Managed several issues and deadlines at once.
- Played a significant role in complete redesign of Entrepreneur magazine in fall 2008. Took active role in planning issues and various columns and departments.
Music Dept. Editor, Contributing Writer, Reporter: Vox magazine
- Spent about 10 months reporting for weekly alternative magazine. Provided ideas, researched, reported and interviewed for numerous stories in various departments.
- Advanced to music department editor. Was responsible for all stories and calendar entries for the music department. Developed and assigned story ideas, worked closely with writers, edited copy at several stages, secured art for stories and provided display type. Managed several issues and deadlines at once.
- Bachelor’s degree in Magazine Journalism and a Business minor from the University of Missouri- Columbia
- Attended classes including Marketing, Management, Magazine Design, Magazine Editing, Principles of Advertising, Advertising Design and Creative Writing
- Named on UMC Dean’s list for two years
- Yearbook and Newspaper Editor-in-Chiefs in high school
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Quark, Adobe InDesign and Adobe PhotoShop
- Proficient in AP Style and Chicago Manual of Style
- High level of people skills and communication skills
- Organization, planning and leadership skills
- Five years front desk and customer service experience in the hotel industry
- Built adobe homes with Habitat for Humanity in Taos, New Mexico
- Active volunteer in various community, environmental, athletic, leadership and other organizations
- Child mentor in several organizations including Link Crew, Outdoor Education Lab Schools and Vacation Bible School
References available upon request.