November 14, 2016
We made it!! We reached Machu Picchu relatively on time, healthy and uninjured – so successes on all accounts!
The second day was the hardest (see previous post), the third was the longest (6:30 am to 6:30 pm) and the fourth was the earliest (3:30 am). In addition to the small daily goals our guides gave us, each day became a small goal and ultimate accomplishment.
Along the way to Machu Picchu during the past four days, I ticked off some other notable accomplishments.
– Hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
– Visited my first “7 Manmade Wonders of the World” site, unless you go by the list that includes the Colosseum in Rome
– Showered in frigid Andean glacier water
– Drank fresh Andean glacier water
– Ate guinea pig
– Tried Inca Cola
– Pooed in a squat toilet
– Nearly hiked a 14’er, reaching 13,800 feet
– Chewed coca leaves
– Was on time every morning and to every one of our meetings
– Went without makeup for days
– Didn’t run out of cell phone battery power for four days
– Christened my new trekking poles and sleeping bag in the Andes